Saturday, June 30, 2012

Shirt dress with shirring.

Finally some news here on the blog. 
This dress has been underway for a long time. I ran out of fabric (Little Lizzette Collection) and my local JoAnn Store had in the mean time sold out. When I found it at their online store on sale for 50% off almost felt lucky I ran out.....until I realized their shipping was endless. Maybe I was just unlucky (I have never bought anything with them online before) but when they shipped the fabric it took two full weeks before I received it...what? I got it the day before we left for California for two weeks and it has taken me another week here at home to finish it. Hmmm yeah it was just like the sun and the pool were more interesting.
I am sure you recognize the top part from THIS shirt. It is very typical me to draft a pattern for a top, sew it and when I look at the result decide that I have to develop the top pattern into a dress pattern....or the other way around.                                                                                              
I did have a fitting on Wilma to determine the length of the skirt part but when it was done it was still too long....well, at least if I wanted to follow my initial vision of having the belt cover the waist seam. But there was no way I was going to change that when the dress was done and when I look at these photos I actually like the low 'waist' seam and the belt higher up - one of those lucky things I guess! 





19 comments:

  1. LOVE the shirring around the bodice and the sleeves!!! The tie above the waistline seam does work, possibly because there's a wide gap. If the two had been closer, perhaps they mightn't have worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam...I know you do (and so do I ;-) I think you are right about the wide gap.....a lucky mistake!

      Delete
  2. Cute! Did you use a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heidi. I drafted it myself...so I guess you can say I used a pattern ;-)

      Delete
  3. Hvor er den fin, den kjole og Wilma er bare så smuk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! Loved the dress,thanks for sharing.
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet...thanks for linking up to Creative Mondays :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so adorable! I love all the details on it. Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! I would love to try something like this.
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute! The dress and the model!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness it is so sweet! please come link up at Hearts&Homes Link Party at www.mercyinkblog.com
    we'd love to have you :)
    blessings,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I want one in my size. I love the dress and those photos are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too, too, too cute! Think you'll ever draft an adult version? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I might do that one day. If you check out this post http://www.sewinglikemad.blogspot.com/2012/05/project-run-play-week-6-signature-look.html you will see that the kid's version is inspired by an adult dress I made long time ago when I had a fashion company in Denmark. That dress has the shirring around the neck too.

      Delete
  12. Those colors are perfect on her! The dress is adorable and has a vintage feel. The waist seam looks intentional, like a yoke. I had no idea you could buy such cute fabric at Joann!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this dress but I'll have to admit - shirring really scares me. I need to face my fears. I'm following you now and I make #49!

    ReplyDelete
  14. when drafting your own pattern or changing a pattern, how do you figure how much fabric "shirred" equals a regular measurement. For example, let's say I want to shirr enough fabric to go around my daughter-n-law who's pregnant. Say it's 40". How much fabric do I shirr to end up with 40"?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments.
Thank you!